Some screenshots (yeah, you can take screenshots on Android 2.3.7.) to wet your appetite: O.O
This guide will show you my way to root and install WIUI 3.1.27 (Gingerbread) on a Motorola Defy Plus (MB526) with Bootloader 7 (version 9.1). The guide has 3 parts, determining what ROM you already have on your device, rooting the device and installing the custom ROM.
DISCLAIMER: I and all developers of those tools will not be held responsible for any damage you will do to your device and i strongly advise you to read all the internet regarding this, and decide if you will go or not this way. Rooting WILL VOID THE WARRANTY of your device. So DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!!!
~~~ The device (Motorola Defy+ MB526) stock stats: System version: 45.0.2310.MB526.AsiaRetail.en.03 Android version: 2.3.6 Kernel version: 126.96.36.199-ge281b6e hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid54#1 Build number: 188.8.131.52_DFP-231
Since i have bought my Motorola Defy Plus (MB526) device i’ve been testing many custom ROMs and also made some tutorials on rooting and installing new ones.
The thing that make us click (and the technology manufacturers exploit) is that we will never be satisfied with what we have, it’s human nature, we want the newest, fastest and the most feature rich devices (without buying new ones 🙂 ).
So we have a low specs, old device that the manufacturer stop updating the original OS since the conception, the case here the Motorola Defy Plus coming with Android 2.3.7 with no official system updates.
But we want Android 4, 4.1, 4.4 and even 5 on our little matchbox but we can’t do nothing about it. This was true until really great guys made Cyanogenmod (CM) which is a custom Android that can run on old or new devices.
I have used CM 10, CM 10.2 and CM 11 (KitKat), yes, KitKat on the Defy Plus and Quarx is working on Android 5 Lolipop for the Defy Plus. O.o
Everything was fine but let’s be honest, you can’t put a Lamborghini engine on a Fiat Panda. That’s the case with newer Android on old devices, everything started to work slow…very slow.
So when you saw people around you just tapping and tapping and i had to wait a few seconds till an app fired up, i started Googling for the lightest and fastest ROM for Motorola Defy Plus. There were several ROMs people recommended but i first tried WIUI, a custom version of MIUI + Cyanogenmod. MIUI is a custom chinese version of Android/Cyanogenmod, used on XIAOMI phones etc. Yeah, you got that right, Android -> Cyanogenmod -> MIUI -> WIUI. Round and round we go. 🙂
Please don’t get me wrong, all Cyanogenmod versions are amazing and you should try them. I used the versions above for very long time but i just needed more speed and different looks.
Ok, i got you dizzy already, let’s get our hands dirty.
You can be in one of two situations:
- If you are on a custom ROM, probably Cyanogenmod. In this case you should download this stock ROM and flash it with RSD Lite. NOTE: This guide is based on a device with the specs at the beginning of this tutorial and the links are for software that worked for me. If you know other stock ROMs work for your device, please use them. The guide here, the XDA thread for WIUI said to flash CEE or Nordic stock ROMs, so you can try those instead of the link i gave you for the stock ROM. I will not go into details of how to flash a stock ROM, there are tones of tutorials online. After flashing the stock ROM, continue with PART 1 below.
- You are on stock ROM. In this case continue with PART 1 below.
PART 1 – ROOTING:
- On your brand new flashed stock ROM go to Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging;
- On your device go to Settings>Applications> Enable Unknown sources;
- Download FRAMAROOT to your phone directly and install the apk;
- Open FRAMAROOT and just tap Ghimli;
- Your Defy+ is rooted!
PART 2 – Flashing WIUI 3.1.27.:
- Download and install on your phone 2nd init – ver.2.3; This version has the Clockworkmod 5.x version (now you understand the NOTE 1 at the beginning of the post);
- Open 2ndinit and press Install bootmenu – the red text will become green after successful install;
- Go here and read the thread. I downloaded and put on the root of the SD card the Stable GB+ 3.1.27. version. The installation guide say that the developer started with flashing the CEE or Nordic original Defy Plus ROM but it’s not the case. We have already covered steps -1 and 0 with the PROLOGUE and PART 1 of this tutorial. The following steps are from point 3. of the XDA guide. Also there is no need to download and install Google Apps, they are embedded in the WIUI ROM.
- Follow the guide on XDA forums starting from point 3.;
- Enjoy a fresh look for your Defy Plus with lighting speed. ^-^
New device stats: Android version: 2.3.7. Yes, it’s the same Android version as the original Defy Plus but it looks awesome and it works lighting fast. ^-^
PLEASE DONATE to the makers of Framaroot, Cyanogen mod and WIUI. If you choose to DONATE TO THIS WEBSITE, I will donate myself to Framaroot, Cyanogen and WIUI! ^-^