If you don’t get the most from the apps you find on Google Play store or you want to use opensource apps on your android phone, you should definitely install F-droid.
From the official website:
“The F-Droid Repository is an easily-installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The server contains the details of multiple versions of each application, and the Android client makes it easy to browse, install them onto your device, and keep track of updates.”
How to install:
- On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > check Unknown sources;
- On your phone browser go to www.f-droid.org;
- At the beginning of the website you will find the link to install the F-droid app (apk);
- Open the app;
- Tap the Menu button on your phone and tap Update repos;
- Again Tap the Menu button on your phone and tap Search (or you can just browse the apps);
- Search the app you want and install it. NOTE: When you get an app you want to install, tap the app and tap the Menu button and the Install button will appear.
- Once in a while do point number 4 and 5 to check for updates.
Have fun! ^-^