Recently we’ve purchased a smartphone, the first smartphone in the house and it’s used by my wife primarily, the gadget in case being a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S.
Me being techie, i spend some weeks searching and comparing and testing and asking and reading and viewing tones of reviews to find a smartphone that will be:affordable, with a good camera phone to take pictures and to film the kid, with a large enough screen for browsing and games and last but not least, the biggest selling point for a woman……….to be beautiful !!!
During all the searches i saw this whole pros and cons online about smartphones and anything related and i really didn’t like what i saw! Are you guys (those fighting to death for some phone’s supremacy) for real?!
The main claims on the internet are:
- “You shouldn’t buy a Symbian, it will die soon, the OS is old and laggy and can’t keep up with the iOS and Android features, the Ovi Store have a small number of apps compared to others, veeeeery small number of apps maaaaaan”. Why should i care if there are 10 million apps in an application store?! Who needs those apps?! What do all the people do with a smartphone, talk on the phone (duh!), send messages, check/write email, browse the internet, keep in touch with Facebook and Twitter friends, use the organizer features, play games, take pictures, use GPS, ALL OF THIS BEING PREINSTALLED ON ANY SMARTPHONE. Maybe you will find replacement apps , better apps, it’s ok,maybe you’ll play games like crazy, do it but please tell me if there are so many apps in another market that you lack in another.
- “No dual-core?!?!? The competition have quad-core!!!”. This is something http://www.gsmarena.com style. Even if they’ll preview a mobile phone with the only feature is to make phone calls because the manufacturers wanted the only thing this phone will do, they will say that. o.O. Anyways, in what life threatening situation you will come in life when going to homescreens in a quarter of a millisecond will save your ass?! Ok, ok, you want to play the latest 3D games, ok, but do you know how fun Wii, PS or Xbox are?!
- “3.5 inch screen is too small. Come on…how will you use the phone?!?! You need at least a 4 inch!”. iPhone is doing just great with all those 3.5 inch screens.
- “The phone battery wouldn’t last long”. The majority of smartphones on an average use, you have to recharge the phones after two days.
- “There is no front facing camera and you can’t make video calls”. I see that very often. Who cares?! You talk most of the time with people you meet often and for other situations you can use Skype and stuff. In the good old days, seeing and talking about how the other have changed was one of the best things.
- “I found it at PhoneIndia for only 9.500 RS”. Guys, it’s not hard but not handy to convert rupies in another currency. Anyways, we have online, updated daily all the prices of the phones in India.
I just don’t get it! Maybe it’s all about marketing, payed evangelists or pure fan boys/girls but don’t you think it’s too much?! You know…when you’re looking that much on the smartphone’s screen, you’re loosing many more interesting things.