I finally decided to do an upgrade from Debian Squeeze to Debian Wheezy. And i did it!
Debian Squeeze is the stable release of Debian and the step under stable is testing. The testing branch is s step down in stable software but in fact seems pretty stable to me.
I did a clean install with a Debian Wheezy netinstall cd. I kept my old /home folder during the installation this translate to:
– DON’T FORGET to mount your existing /home partition BUT MAKE SURE to say at format, NO and keep your data!!!
– Keep your user name and passwords exactly as the old ones.
The best thing for me after installing Wheezy is having Gnome 3. I know, a lot of you hate Gnome 3 but to be honest, i kindda love it until now. He just need a little love from you, play a little with it and try to understand the philosophy behind and trust me, it’s a great improvement.
I will not post pros and cons but i think you will benefit more from a Getting started (i didn’t fully explored Gnome 3 and maybe there are things that you can/can’t do anymore), so here we are:
– first do a search on Gnome 3 shortcuts and read them.
– your windows will have only the close button, the biggest shock is you will beg for the minimize button. I didn’t die without it, but i felt frustrated, now i’m just fine thank you.
– the key is the Super Key, or Windows Key if you like. Press the key and start typing a name and see what happens.
– try to get used to Alt-Tab and Alt-` (the key above Tab), try to figure out what is the difference. HINT: Open multiple instances of an app.
Have fun and show Gnome 3 some love will ya?!