As a photographer, you can do on Linux, almost anything you do on other Operating Systems, plus the advantage of using free and open source software.
If you know programming or you have someone who knows how to program, you can modify, extend, upgrade, make new tools in the software of your choice and why not, make your own Photo editing software.
What you can do ?
- import photos from your camera directly, through a card reader, USB drive, a scanner and even from your Facebook account.
- organize, sort, rate photos
- process all type of RAW files
- edit/enhance photos (using GIMP, pretty much and in some parts, the same way like in the mighty Photoshop)
- batch edit
- export photos in every format known to men, plus Picasa, Flickr, Facebook, iPod, Flash and HTML Galleries etc.
- print photos
- and even play Mortal Kombat with a friend in Vietnam 🙂